Tuesday 6 December 2011

#031 GAD BA1 P4: 3D Projection Mapping - Part 1

For the past few weeks I've not been able to post on blogger for some reason, so better late than never, here are my posts for Project 4 - 3D Project Mapping.

Slightly out of the blue, a 4th project for the course (or 5th if you count the Archant Project) was sprung on us. The project was to research, design and develop a site-specific, projection-mapped light show to accompany the undergraduate exhibtion at NUCA. Slightly aggravating as Marie-Claire assured me that there would defiantly not be another project after submission (I need to complete Projects 1, 2 and 3 as I was delayed by a week and had an extension due to a legal battle), this will no doubt limit my time and effect my work, which I wanted to avoid. Anyway, rant over... Onwards!

To put it simple 3D Projection Mapping is the projection of mapping a 3d projection onto a 2D plane. Still confused? So was I... Basically it is projecting a 3d animation onto something while keeping it looking like is is 3D. First of all, we were shown a variety of examples of 3D Projection Mapping, mostly used to advertise something. The examples shown were projections on to buildings, which doesn't have to be done, but commonly is. In the case of this project we were tasked to use one of the buildings on the NUCA campus... and that was pretty much all we were given to work with, research, design and develop a 3D projection-mapped light show of your choice on a building of your choice in a group of your choice in a maximum of 5 people.

I had some ideas of what to do, but for now I am pushing it all to one side until I have finished my first three projections.

No comments:

Post a Comment