Tuesday 6 December 2011

#032 GAD BA1 P4: 3D Projection Mapping - Part 2

Okay, so with my first projects out of the way, time to get cracking. I've teamed up with Kai Shepherd for this project, having worked with each other before we know each others style of working. We sat down and discussed what we would do for the projection and came up with a game related projection. We wanted to do something that the majority will be familiar with, such as classic arcade games like Space Invaders and Mario. Surprisingly we both had the same building to use in mind, that being the St Georges Art Building (Shown below).






With the base set, I began researching projection mapping and I am I found an interesting link (http://vvvv.org/documentation/how-to-project-on-3d-geometry), it pretty much covers how projection mapping is done and the processes behind it. I'm not going to waste time by quoting paragraphs from it, it is plain to see how extensive it is in the explanation of project mapping. On the web page I noticed one specific part more than the rest... To achieve the best quality projection mapping, the projection must be specifically made for the thing it is being projected on. In the case of this project it will be on the St Georges Building. Not only does the projection need be specifically made for what it is being projected on, the projection design requires a 3D model of the object it is projection on to allow for the graphical points of the building such as windows. For the purpose of design, I will create a 3D model of the St Georges Building: As this is just a concept design I will not go to great lengths to make it accurate, I will just use my pre-existing skills from an architectural background for the dimensions of window pains, bricks, arches etc. If the project is carried forward there will no doubt be an accurate blue-pint for this building as it is a historic building (If not, it is possible to measure the building using a laser distance meter).

While I handled the 3D mock up, Kai began to work on the basic concept that we had agreed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment