Friday 4 May 2012

#069 GAD BA3 - P2: UV Mapping & Texturing

Probably the most aggravating part of this project was the UV Mapping. In total I had to do 14 UV Maps, including the 7 UV Maps for the scenery which I found we had to do at the last moment. All the UV Maps are unfolded (as much as they could be), so that the textures run smoothly over edges and corners.

I won't explain how I did each of them, as I can pretty much explain how I did all of them at once. I used a mixture of the automatic mapping tools (planar, cylinder, automatic) depending on the faces of the object. Some of the pieces were fairly easy and just required the automatic mapping tool, while with others I had to select separate faces and use the planar or cylinder mapping tool (while making sure they were all on a identical scale). Once all the faces were mapped I then began to sew the edges together, I soon found that this was not as easy as I first thought. I realise that not all of the UV Maps could not be fully unfolded and required some of its faces to be separated from the main section otherwise they would overlap with other faces. Because of this I had to work out how which pieces could be fitted together and how I could fit them together to create the most efficient unfolded map. Some pieces are deliberately separated to prevent bleeding of the textures when I add them.

Below I have organise images in the format from left to right of: Object, UV Map, UV Map & Texture. The object name is included in the caption.

1# Geared Bolt

2# Primary Bolt Holder

3# Secondary Bolt Holder
 
4# Central Locking Mechanism

5# Decorative Handle

6# Decorative Triangular Panel

7# Main Door Structure

8# Light Fitting

9# Light

10# Electrical Wires

11# Sewage Pipe

12# Air Duct

13# Electricity Box

14# Scenary Structure

No comments:

Post a Comment