Friday 4 May 2012

#068 GAD BA3 - P1: Model Adjustments & Changes

Up to this point, I was not happy with my model. Although it looked how it was meant to, it just didn't look right. For a start, the hinges of the door did not look right. After thinking for a while about what I could do, I decided to remove the hinges full stop. I didn't do this because it was the easiest thing to do, there is logic behind it. My door is a blast/vault door... It's purpose is to keep things inside safe and/or to restrict access. If you wanted to open such a door forcibly then it would be logical to target the weakest part, which in this case would be the hinges. A plasma cutter or some high explosive would blast the hinges clean off. I concluded that a door such as this would most likely have the hinges positioned on the inside (where they are safe), which just happens to be the side that I am not modeling.

With the hinges removed, the door looks a lot cleaner and "structurally sound". Physically speaking (if the door were real) I have limited the weaknesses in the door and aesthetically speaking, I have made the door look better.

Vault Door without hinges.


Still, the door by itself did not look very appealing. I noticed form my peers that I wasn't the only one who felt so, some had began to model the context in which the door would be placed. So I took note, and started to model where the door would be placed. From the game Command & Conquer, a lot of the structures/buildings have an underground area, which would be ideal for this door. So to begin I created a tunnel for the door, show below:

Vault Door in tunnel/structure.
Straight away it looked better, but I knew I could do more. The detail on the door made the tunnel structure look a bit empty. So I thought a bit about what kind of objects would be found in such a tunnel and began to create props for it. Below are some of them with an explanation of how they were created.

Lighting: Being underground, there is not much sunlight, so lighting would be required. I created these pieces by first creating a rectangular cube, I then cut the rectangular cube diagonally with a plane. I then created another rectangular cube slightly smaller than the original and placed it so it overlapped the diagonal face. I then used a boolean union to quickly cut the faces, then extracted the smaller pieces (I plan to add a glow to simulate a light). For the electric wires I just used a cylinder for the main part, and then used a torus with the same diameter that was cut into a quarter for the curved pipe.

Pipes: It might just be me, but in every film if there is a tunnel, there are generic sewage/water pipes running down them.  To create them I first started off with a circular plane, I then extruded it for the length of the pipe. For the rim around the joining sections I just used an extrude with a negative offset and a translate along the length, extruded it by 0.2 units, then extruded with a positive offset to put it back into position. I then extruded it again by 2 units for the part where the pipes join, then repeated the negative offset for the second rim. The brackets are just 4 cylinders and a rectangular cube with cylinders cut out in them.

Electricity Panel: Again, in the movies there is always an exterior electricity panel with a big hazard sign on it.  I simply created a cube, made it narrower, used a extrude offset and then an extrude for the recess. I plan to add in the details with a texture.

Air Duct: Similar to the pipe, I started with a plane. I then extruded it, created a rim (in the same way as I did on the pipes), and then extruded it again.

Once I had placed these props in, it started to look the part. I made sure to clean up the faces to avoid duplicates, as well as cut the props into the faces that they reside on. Below is what it looks like:


For me, still not quiet right. With the hinges gone the doors looks a little bare, so I added back in the detailed geared bolts (which I removed to simplify). With the original geared bolts back in place, I am fairly happy with how the door looks (see below).

No comments:

Post a Comment